Translate

Sunday 27 March 2016

Unexpected finds!

One early morning I was awoken and told that there was a road side pick-up, where the locals were disposing their unwanted furniture. When I heard there were a couple of items I might like, I literally jumped out of bed and was down the road in record time! 
Now one of the items I will be sharing with you today, I must confess is not my kind of style, but I looked past their present state and saw their potential with a lick of paint. After all, it was free

Does anyone remember these iron chairs with the rosebuds set into the legs that usually came in white? I think they actually still make these outdoor settings. Well, I thought they would be perfect to sit and rest outside between DIY jobs, so that's why I scooped them up. When I got them the back rest was missing on one chair and the other was snapped off, so I just removed it to make stool type seats.

My stylist created a shop front type of set-up, notice the "Open" sign!
To get started on this simple project I initially started peeling off the larger and easier pieces of flaking paint and then used a wire brush. 



After picking and chiseling at the paint work I switched to a sanding bit which made the job all the more enjoyable and quicker! These are the moments I love about being in the countryside. Just sitting outside with the wide blue sky above, sun shining and the fresh morning air. I'm in my element!


Once I felt I had removed enough of the flaking paint I moved to priming the chairs. Simple and easy!


My assistant was very eager to help with the spraying, so I obliged just for a second because the paint smell was pretty toxic. Maybe a mask for our next spray painting job would be a good idea!



While the process was most enjoyable the end product came up just as I had hoped. I am thinking of using one of the seats with the antique sewing machine that I featured here


You might be wondering what the other freebie was that I picked-up. All I can say at this moment is that its something I have wanted for a very long time and again I got it for free!
I haven't done a make-up over to spruce it up yet, but when I do I will definitely share, but for now I'm keeping secret about it. Gomen ne! Sorry....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.